Anning LI
ENG 201
Professor Matyakubova
2/14/15
Don’t quit
In the past
years, reading and writing has hindered my path to success in many courses. The
inabilities to write and read is my fatally weaknesses in academic process. My
dad told me that I couldn’t express myself and analyzed reading precisely with
deeper insight. It bothered me when I was in china and It is even worst when I
moved to New York.
Sometimes I
thought of quitting school may stopped the frustration in my life. Maybe I was
so naive and maybe I was jealous of others’ ability that they could easily got
good grades in ESL class while I was struggling to read a single vocabulary. I
remember one most foolish thing I have ever done in my life was an in class
reading assignment, we were no only required to read but also to write a
summary of it. My ESL teacher gave me ‘journey to center of the earth’ it was a
science fiction book, I was suppose to read the first chapter about(23 pages)by
20 minutes which was not a lot since each pages was attached a photo to it. Due
to my inability to read and lack of vocabulary capacity, I spent most of my
time searching in the dictionary. I was sweating like summer rain. That wasn’t
all, we have to shared it afterword. I was so afraid to be called on , but
unfortunately my teacher still called on me. I was about to share my summary
but my instinct spoke out for me ‘ may I go to bathroom’ Ms. I still remembered
how everyone was make fun of me, they called me coward and stammer. I didn’t go
to school for 3 days because the evil mind told me never to go back anymore.
I knew to quit
school was definitely a stupid idea that may only helps me to escape from
humiliation temporarily. For the first time I sat on my bed for an hours
without itching on my feet. I thought ‘ What if I was told to write or read
something in my job’, do I quite my job? Perhaps I could never got a decent job
that would require literacy if I quit school in such young age.
I did go back to
school with my soul and vigor because I realized without the knowledge of
literacy I was nothing other than a blind. I made up my mind to strive hard to
make progress. I would read news in subway, wrote down vocabularies and
practice free write. my determination indeed paid off,I past ESL level 3 with
90 on my report card. That was a big step in my way to literacy, I was indulged
in happiness.
The real obstacle
was coming up,I had heard that the only way I can go to regular English class
and even graduate from High school is to pass the regent exam. Nothing was more
stressful than that. I was preparing for the exam for whole semester, all of
our class writing and reading were came from previous exam. I thought i was
ready. on the exam day, i literally ate 3 eggs, a glass of milk with cereal, in
the way to school I was tried to avoid conversation with my friend just in case
that I might forget the essay format. I was confident until i saw the last
essay question, it was a quote by someone that i couldn’t recall. I was suppose
to understand the quote and use two article to elaborate the larger concept and
meaning behind the quote. the funny thing was I couldn’t comprehend the meaning
of it. I waste half hour on thinking and relating the quote to some non -
fiction that I read before. Suddenly my mind turned blank, my face must be pale
white I guess. The test result was obvious, I failed the test. My grading
teacher told me that he couldn’t find any connection between the quote and the
two articles that I used. I answered in my mind ‘ how could i find right
articles if I can’t analyze the quote correctly’.
Many of my
friends passed, I felt like a great disappointment. My writing and reading
skill was denied by the crucial test, I won’t be able to graduate. The lucky
thing was I had one more chance to take the regent and graduate on time. The
pressure was on me again and it suffocated me more and more as the exam day
were coming closer.
There were one
building block in my mind, ‘how did I know whether I failed to understand the
quote ’ . I knew that in order to pass this time I must know the reason I
failed. I went back to my level 3 teacher, and told her about my experience in
regent exam. She said one thing that surprised me and inspired me in every way.
She told me not to worry the quote itself, but to focus on expressing my
knowledge and my own definition of the quote. This suggestion was like a noble
redeem for me, which it did indirectly help me to pass the test. I found the
mistake on my writing and reading, when I was reading books, I didn’t trust
myself and I usually thought I missed some important point. As well in writing,
I was tried to be perfectionism while it is impossible for me as a new
immigrant, a rookie in English. Eventually I concentrated on grammar and etc..,
ignore to elaborate the idea itself.
As the second exam
day came, I acted like it was a normal Wednesday. I was laughing in the train
and chatting with my friend. ‘ hi that’s
your second time right?’ I answer ‘yes’. ‘Oh you must be an expert on the exam
now’ he tried to make fun of me. I didn’t said anything, I was trying to play
cool and let the result speaks for itself. I did pretty well in reading part,
because I didn’t go back and forth to doubt and change the answer on multiple
choices. I was sure that i didn’t miss anything,and i trust myself a lot. The
essay question was a quote about evil, ’ a true evil was the one who good at
pretend’ I can’t recall the whole quote. I used two example to describe and
make connection of my own ‘ understanding to the quote’ and specified my ‘ own
opinion’ to the quote and the real world concept. Two article I used was ‘passing’ by langston hughes and the ‘color
of water’ by James McBride, I almost sure that this time I will pass.
A month later, the
result came out and it surprised me. I was not only passed but I passed with
85, which means I was able to register regular English classes. I couldn’t
think of any word to stand for my feeling at that moment, but i clearly
remember I retaliated my friend laugh at me in the train. I ‘m still in
progressing now, college reading and writing intense courses make me
breathless. They are more challenging, the only thing I should remember is to
be confident of what I wrote.
No comments:
Post a Comment