The evil mind
(The literacy explore)
Anning Li
English 201, Section 41
Professor Nargiza Matyakubova
February 28, 2015
In the past years,
reading and writing has hindered my path to success in many courses. The
inabilities to write and read are a major weakness in my academic process. I
had no interest in reading and writing, it was considerable difficult for me to
seat there and complete literacy assignment. I often recall, when my father was
home, he would urge me to get works done.
Growing up in a rural area with
my mom, where most folks there barely attended high school nor college. My
mother never had chance to attain High school, she was tired and depressed for
not being able to provide better upbringing for me. Without a good learning
environment to nurture my interest in writing, my talent was stifled ever since
fourth grade. The teacher would shouted at me; ‘Anning, you had better rewrite
your work and put more thoughts on IT.’ I remembered my heart was beating like
a drum, hoping there was a hole to hide my head into! It happened to me in
every classes. I screamed ‘I am done with it.’ The echo was reverberating in
the field, As if I could still heard it.
Seven years
later, my father, who moved to America seeking for better opportunity, came
back and brought me, my sister and my mom into the country. It is flourishing city,
which in my imagination, all fantasy would come true in here. First few days,
my father took us a field trip to many places that I could only see in the TV.
Seeing the ‘statue of liberty’ has always been my childhood’s dream, and the Brooklyn
Bridge appears more magnificent on vision. Those events widen my eyes, and
indeed they have fulfiller my
Expectation. For the first time, I did not think of my
writing and reading assignments.
Three month had
passed, I was sitting on brand new class room with strange faces, struggled to
read the most naive story book. It was boring indeed, but I would still make
same mistakes on Pronunciation. I hated my Chinese accent. Although I practiced
every day, I could not get rid of it. Walking down the street at Flushing,
where, most people speaks Chinese, I felt a bit warmth. Whenever I saw a
foreign people walking towards me, I would avoid the conversations with them.
Public speaking in English was big challenge for me, I was not shy, and perhaps
I lost to myself and rather be a coward.
Sometimes I really
thought, quitting school may be the only way to hide from my disadvantages. I preferred
to be a coward than laugh by classmates. Maybe I was so naive and envious of
others’ ability of getting good grades in ESL class while I struggled to read a
single vocabulary. I remembered one most foolish thing I have ever done in my
life was an in class reading assignment, we were not only required to read but
also to write a summary of it. My ESL teacher gave me ‘journey to center of the
earth’ it was a science fiction book. I spent most of my time rambling in the
dictionary. I was sweating like summer rain when I heard the teacher called on
me. My instinct spoke out for me ‘may I go to bathroom MS!’ I still remembered
how everyone was making fun of me, they called me stammer. I didn’t go to
school for a while, because the evil mind told me not to!
I knew that quitting
school was definitely the worst idea, it may help me to avoid the humiliation from
class temporarily,but
ruin my whole life. The first time I sat on my bed for an hours without itching
on my feet, first time i had undivided attention thinking on
Something. I
thought ‘What if I was required to write or read something in my job’, do I quit
my job? Perhaps I could never got a decent job, because I could never wrote a
proper resume if I quit school in such a young age. I felt like needed help
from someone, but I dare not to speak up, I could not walk out of the shadow.
My stupid pride and foolish evil mind continued to torture me.
Until I went back to school, I
discovered the important of reading skill, I could not success without the
ability to read and write properly in English. I met many friends, most of them
were afraid of speaking English too. However, there was one student, who,
constantly participated in class discussion. He became my best friend then,
because he was the one inspired me and force me to start learning. I remembered
in ESL level two class, I was like a fly without head, seat in the corner
carelessly. It turned when the guy walked over and started to preach me. I was
shocked of what he said; ‘you’re wasting of your parents’ effort, they made
money by sweats and tears, and you’re sitting here doing nothing. Don’t you
feel ashamed of yourself? Suddenly, I realized my parent were still working overtime
just to put food on the table. His few simple but heartwarming words inspired
me. My evil mind was dead after then.
I realized
without the knowledge of literacy I have no different than a blind and deaf. I
made up my mind to strive hard to make progress. I would read news in subway,
wrote down vocabularies and practice free write. I made record of my self’s
speaking, and all the songs in my phone were in English, my determination indeed paid off, I past ESL level 3 with
90 on my report card. That was a big step in my way to attain literacy, I was
indulged in happiness.
The real obstacle
was coming up, I had heard that the only way enable me to transfer to regular
English class and even graduate from High school was to pass the regent exam.
Nothing was more stressful than that. I was preparing for the exam for whole
semester, all of our class writing and reading were came from previous exam. I
thought i was ready after reading thousands of pages in English.
On the exam day, I
came in with confident until I saw the last essay question, it was a quote by
someone that I couldn’t recall. I was supposed to understand the quote and use
two article to elaborate the larger concept and meaning behind the quote. I
numbed for a while, suddenly my mind turned blank, my face must be pale white I
guess. I was not there yet I told myself, the regent was hard as hell!
Especially the essay question, I did not comprehend it thoroughly. The test
result was obvious, I failed the test. My grading teacher told me that he
couldn’t find any connection between the quote and the two articles that I used.
My heart was bleeding when I heard of it, nothing are more bitterness than
their own efforts to be rejected.
Many of my
friends passed, I felt like a great disappointment. My writing and reading
skill were denied by the crucial test, I won’t be able to graduate. My evil
mind came up when I was desperate, it lured me to quit. Fortunately, I was told
that I had one more chance to take the regent and graduate on time. The evil
mind this time Strangled in the cradle. The pressure was on me again and it
suffocated as the exam day were coming closer.
There were one
major problem, I knew that in order to pass this time I must know the reason
why I failed. I went back to my level 3 teacher, and told her about my
experience in regent exam. She said one thing that instantly inspired me in
every way. She told me not to worry the quote itself, but to focus on
expressing my knowledge and my own feeling about the quote. This suggestion was
like a noble redeem for me, which it did indirectly help me to pass the test. I
found the mistake on my writing and reading, when I was reading books, I didn’t
trust myself and I usually thought I missed some important point. As well in
writing, I tried to be perfectionism while it was impossible for me as a new
immigrant, a rookie in English.
As the second exam
day came, I acted like it was a normal Wednesday. I was laughing in the train
and chatting with my folks. I did pretty well in reading part, because I did
not doubt and change the answer on multiple choices. I was sure that I didn’t
miss anything. The essay question was a quote about evil,’ a true evil was the
one who good at pretend’ I can’t recall the whole quote. I used two example to
describe and make connection of my own ‘understanding of the quote’ and
specified my ‘own opinion’ of the quote, related to the real world concept. Two
article I used was ‘passing’ by Langston Hughes and the ‘color of water’ by
James McBride. They were perfectly match the idea of the quote, and I smell
success.
One milestone of my
literacy, and I clearly know it was just beginning. No matter what, I had proved
that I am valuable. And I am not a coward anymore. The evil mind had never came
upon my mind again and even if it does, I would not surrender. In the rest of
my life, I would continue exploring the myth of English. The convention of
English are endless that means I still have a lot to learn. I get excited when
I think of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment